Did you ever take Home Economics in high school? I was lucky enough to have a wonderful, active, and interested teacher for my Home Ec class: Mrs. Winkler. While we learned about many different things (including sewing, banking, etc.), one my favorite segments was cooking. I still have the mimeographed sheet of paper with her delicious apple pie recipe! I thought I’d add it to the “recipe box” before it fades into oblivion!
- 5 to 7 tart apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp enriched flour
- Dash salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 pie crusts
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Pare apples and slice thin.
- Mix sugar, flour, salt, and spices. Add to apples.
- Fill 9" pastry.
- Dot with butter
- Adjust top crust. Poke holes with fork to vent. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in hot oven (450 degrees) for 10 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 350 degrees for 40 more minutes.
If apples are not tart, add 1 Tbsp lemon juice.