We love Coke Jello Salad! This is another family favorite often asked for on special holidays. It was first shared with us on a family vacation to Michigan by my mom’s long-time friend, Mary Spencer. I was about 14 years old and not fond of jello dishes with “stuff” in them. After politely putting a little bit on my plate and finally tasting it, I was sold! Mary was kind enough to share the recipe. That’s when we discovered that she added soda pop! Filled with sugary sweetness, this could be considered a dessert.
- 1 can sour pitted cherries (don't drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 3 oz packages of Cherry Jello
- 6 oz soda pop (such as Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, etc.)
- 1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple (don't drain)
- 1 package of Dream Whip prepared according to directions
- 1 3 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix cherries (don't drain!), sugar, and water together in a pan on the stove.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often to completely dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from heat and stir in Jello.
- Let cool in refrigerator about 20 minutes. (I pour into a plastic bowl for this part.)
- Add soda pop and crushed pineapple (don't drain).
- Pour into final container. (I use a 9" X 13" serving dish.) Let congeal.
- Prepare Dream Whip according to directions on package.
- In separate bowl, mix softened cream cheese with powdered sugar.
- Add to Dream Whip.
- Spread on top of congealed jello.
Depending on how this will be served determines what kind of container to choose for the jello. Usually, I use a 9" X 13" serving dish, but have also used wine glasses or clear plastic cups to create individual servings.